crinkle n : a slight depression in the smoothness of a surface; "his face has many lines"; "ironing gets rid of most wrinkles" [syn: wrinkle, furrow, crease, seam, line]
1 make wrinkles or creases into a smooth surface; "The dress got wrinkled" [syn: wrinkle, ruckle, crease, scrunch, scrunch up, crisp]
2 become wrinkled or crumpled or creased; "This fabric won't wrinkle" [syn: rumple, crumple, wrinkle, crease]
- Rhymes: -ɪŋkəl
EtymologyVia Middle English from Old English crincan
- To fold, crease, crumple, or wad.
- He crinkled the wrapper and threw it out.
Crinkill (Irish: Críonchoill ) is a village near Birr in the Midlands county of Offaly, Ireland. The village name is also sometimes spelt Crinkle.
The village originally grew up around a British military barracks which was constructed around 1805. However, the barracks was abandoned by the British army around the time of independence and was burnt down on 11th of July 13th 1922 as a result of the the civil war that followed . Today only the ruins of the outer wall remains.
Crinkill is home to a number of businesses:
- The Thatch is an award winning pub and restaurant.
- Grant Engineering is a manufacturer of innovative heating systems and a major local employer.
- The Ormond Flying Club use a landing strip which is on the edge of Crinkill. This landing strip was originally used as a military airfield, but the demise of Crinkill barracks came soon after the start of military aircraft.
- Polydome are a leading supplier of polytunnels and glasshouses in Ireland and are based in Crinkill.
ambages, anfractuosity, bristle, circuitousness, circumambages, circumbendibus, circumlocution, circumvolution, cocker, cockle, contort, convolution, corkscrew, corrugate, corrugation, crankle, crease, crimp, crimple, crinkling, crumple, flexuosity, flexuousness, fold, furrow, intorsion, intort, involution, knit, knot, meander, meandering, plica, pucker, purse, ridge, rimple, ripple, rivel, rivulation, ruck, ruckle, ruffle, rumple, rustle, scallop, screw, scrunch, serpentine, set on edge, shirr, sinuation, sinuosity, sinuousness, slink, slinkiness, snake, snakiness, swirl, swish, torsion, tortility, tortuosity, tortuousness, turn, turning, twine, twirl, twist, twist and turn, twisting, undulation, wave, waving, whirl, whish, whorl, wimple, wind, winding, worm, wring, wrinkle